The second highest selling prescription drug in the US right now is something called Nexium, which is used to treat acid reflux. GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease, which is the most common digestive disorder in North America, results in symptoms like heartburn and acid reflux. 60% of North Americans* will experience symptoms this year, and 20-30% will experience it this week.
Today, I’m going to explain to you why your understanding of heartburn and antacids is perhaps not what you thought, and how you can easily prevent GERD in a few simple steps.
What is acid reflux and heartburn
Acid reflux occurs when the lower esophageal valve opens (when it shouldn’t), resulting in stomach acid coming up into the esophagus, causing a burning sensation, known as heartburn. Keep in mind that the 1 last update 06 Jun 2020 stomach acid in your stomach is actually a good thing as your stomach is lined properly to handle the acidity - it''t a good thing.Acid reflux occurs when the lower esophageal valve opens (when it shouldn’t), resulting in stomach acid coming up into the esophagus, causing a burning sensation, known as heartburn. Keep in mind that stomach acid in your stomach is actually a good thing as your stomach is lined properly to handle the acidity - it''t a good thing.
Heartburn Remedies 7 Ways To Relieve (☑ How To Get Rid) | Heartburn Remedies When To See A Doctorhow to Heartburn Remedies for
What causes acid reflux and heartburn
Pressure from the stomach is one of the main causes of the esophageal valve opening, which is triggered by a few things: overeating, obesity, or spicy/fatty foods.
While overeating, obesity and spicy foods are definitely contributors, people who are a completely normal weight and don’t really eat spicy foods still experience symptoms and here’s why: undigested foods and/or poor bacteria balance in the gut ALSO cause pressure on the stomach, leading to acid reflux. Here''ll be going into a lot more detail on gut bacteria, stomach acid, bloating, IBS, indigestion and more on the free live online class, The 4R''ll alleviate your immediate symptom of the burning from acid in your esophagus, but they continue to lower your stomach acid in the stomach, which results in weak digestion, undigested food, and more pressure on the stomach.
Natural heartburn & acid reflux prevention & treatment
So, here are some simple ideas to increase your stomach acid and address the the 1 last update 06 Jun 2020 root cause of acid reflux:So, here are some simple ideas to increase your stomach acid and address the root cause of acid reflux:
- Drink 1/2 lemon, juiced, or a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (ACV) in water on an empty stomach 5-10 minutes before your main meals. Note – during an episode of acid reflux, a tablespoon of ACV on its own works to alleviate the heartburn feeling.
- Eat until you are 80% full.
- Avoid a lot of red meat, dairy, fried foods and alcohol
- Limit fluid intake with meals, especially cold
- Avoid eating when rushed, upset, stressed
- Digestive bitters stimulate your body to produce digestive juices (stomach acid) on its own. A great one is St Francis Digestive Bitters and you can take this before you eat a meal.
- HCL (hydrochloric acid) with pepsin.**Note: you want to take this under the guide of a practitioner, because there can be risks if you are taking any anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, advil, etc. Dosage varies and again you should work with a practitioner to know how much to take
- Digestive enzymes like pancreatin, papain and bromelain
For more information on digestive bitters look at our blog The 4 R''s a good reason why its Latin name means ""